Monday, July 25, 2011

Becoming a Sawyer: Part One

This morning I decided to head over to the Social Security office to start the process of changing my name. I was on a roll - I had worked out, walked the dog and still made it to SS before 9am! I used the self check-in machine, got my number printout and had a seat amongst the 20 or so people that ALSO made it to SS on time. Boo.


While I waited, I couldn't help but notice that the person to my right reeked of cigarette smoke, and the person behind me had one of those very loud oxygen machines. Pleasant. As I slathered on the antibacterial gel, I kept thinking, "Pahleeeeeeeeez... call my number so I can get out of here..."  


9:22am.


A-151! 
FINALLY, that's me! 


I jumped up and walked over to the desk and pulled out my paperwork... SS Card. Check! Application. Check! Passport. Check! Marriage License. UH OH. I had asked Dovey to put the important paperwork from the safe into my purse last night, only to find out that he forgot to give me our marriage license. DOH! Silly husband! 


The grumpy woman said she couldn't complete the name change without the license, but that she would double check my application to make sure that I didn't need anything else. 


She scrolled down the form and stopped midway, and said... "I'm sorry ma'am, but the birth place you have listed is wrong." 


(WTH?! Miss, I am thirty-something years old - I think I KNOW where I was born.) 


I politely assured her that my birth city has been the same since the day that I was born, and that she was quite mistaken. She begins to rifle through her computer only to find that I have TWO birth cities on file... (hmm.) one of which is the city that I had listed on my application. She said that she would delete the other from the system and that I am good to go. Phew. So glad that is settled. 


I then gathered up my documents and moped out of the office - still married to my maiden name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment